Tabs

3d Character










Is he a Beggar Boy, a Street Arab, or a Pauper?

I don't Know.


I made this character after watching several character modeling tutorials in blender, and decided to put my skills into use.  I originally was going to incorporate this character into a larger scene, but the project was too big, so i was left with just this character here!  It took me a ridiculously long time to complete, from conception to a final-looking model.  He is composed of approximately 1200 triangles, with a 512x512 texture, hair and all.  He is even rigged for animation!

Who is he?

The process of making him took so long that my ideas changed several times during production.  He's supposed to be some sort of young beggar, with dirt stains and ragged clothes...  Oliver twist comes to mind.  If i get more motivation, I might incorporate him into a larger scene or story!

Meanwhile, Read Below for the whole Production Process!


Concept Art

I never made much concept art for this character-- just a couple of sketches you see to the right, and a much later color mock up to the left.  Most of the design came during the build process.





The Head

I quickly decided that I would go into detail with the hair: instead of just making a solid mesh, I decided to use planes to simulate individual tufts of hair.  This caused a large amount of hassle later, but it taught me a lot about back-face-culling in the end.








The Torso

I discovered Blender's handy background image interface, which allowed me to model directly from a pencil sketch.  Here you see me using the box method to extrude then adjust vertices.  It worked out quite well in the end!


(TO BE CONTINUED)

No comments:

Post a Comment